1. All India Prohibition Council
49, Tughlakabad Institutional Area,
Mehrauli Badarpur Road,
2. Gandhi Films Foundation
Mani Bhavan, 19, Laburnum Road,
3.The Gandhi Memorial Leprosy Foundation
The early efforts of the Nidhi for the eradication of leprosy till the establishment of the Leprosy Foundation in 1953 have already been outlined in chapter six. Between 1953 and 1962, the Leprosy Foundation was for all practical purpose on autonomous intuition, but it became formally so only in 1962 when it was registered under the Societies Registration Act with Dr. R.V. Wardekar as Secretary. The Nidhi had endowed it with an earmarked sum of nearly ninety-six lakhs of rupees.
Amongst the various activates which the Leporsy Foundation had taken up, the first was the study of the problem. It revealed that India had 1.5 million patients and all that was done was to provide shelter to patients in advanced stage, and that too was only available for one per cent of the total number of such patients. Hence the Foundation laid emphasis on the control of the disease and tested the efficacy of the then newly introduced drug of sulphone. These control units in eight different states sumbered nine in 1955. Each of them was under a medical officer who covered an area with a population of 20 to 25 thousand. These units examined all active patients before deformities development, and carried on education off both the patients and the healthy people. This resulted in bringing down the prevalence and incidence of leprosy. Five of these Units were discontinued between 1964 and 1967. By 1970-71, the reducation in prevalence in the four remaining units ranged between 59 to 74 precent, and the number of positive case had been brought down 42 to 16 in Sevagram (Mhaatashtra),37 to 5 in chilakapalli (Andhra), 28 to 13 in Marariulam (Kerela) and from 43 to 3 in T’ Narsipur (Karnataka).
Besides running these Control Units, the Foundation submitted a plan to the Government of India for leprosy control work and the Government started establishment control units on the lines suggested. Non-availability of doctors for these units led the foundation to suggest starting of ‘SET Centers’ (Survey, Education and Treatment Centers) with the help of primary Health Centers. By the end of 1970-71 the State Governments had opened 198 Control Units and 1282 SET Centers.
4. Gandhi National Memorial Society,
THE AGAKHAN PALACE is a National Monument of great significance to India's freedom struggle. Following the launch of the Quit India Movement in 1942, Gandhiji, his wife Kasturba, Mahadev Desai, Sarojini Naidu and other national leaders were interned at the Agakhan Palace from 10 August 1942, to 6 May 1944. Mahadev Desai and Kasturba passed away while in detention here, and their Samadhis are located on the Palace grounds.
The Agakhan Palace has developed into a National and International place of Pilgrimage, with over one lakh visitors coming every year to pay their homage at the Samadhis.
After the demise of Kasturba, Gandhiji had expressed a wish that the site be developed into a centre for the emancipation of women. On the occasion of the Gandhi Birth Centenary in 1969, H.H. Prince Karim Agakhan donated the Agakhan Palace to the Nation, as a mark of respect to Gandhiji and his philosophy
On 15 August 1972, a Gandhi Museum cum Picture Gallery was inaugurated at the Agakhan Palace. The management of the Museum, Samadhis, and the palace campus was transferred to the Gandhi National Memorial Society (GNMS) by Gandhi Smarak Nidhi, New Delhi in 1980. As a tribute to the memory of Kasturba, a National Institute for the Development of Women was established here, with an emphasis on the empowerment of women through training and development.
The Gandhi National Memorial Society organizes a number of activities throughout the year in its endeavour to make this complex a living memorial to Ba and Bapu. The Government of India declared Agakhan Palace a National Monument in April 2003.
KASTURBA MAHILA KHADI GRAMODYOG VIDYALAY:
In 1988, GNMS started Kasturba Mahila Khadi Gramodyog Vidyalay. Its purpose was to bring about rural reconstruction and development in line with the concept of Gram Swaraj, a dream that Gandhiji advocated in his famous book 'Hind Swaraj'. It has proved to be an effective tool of economic empowerment for rural women, with programmes conducted successfully throughout the year.
The Vidyalaya's objective was to start, encourage, assist, and carry on activities aligned with the development of Khadi and Village Industries.
It was started with only one training programme - spinning and weaving - with 20 trainees. Now there are 28 different programmes related to village industries and more than 3,000 people receive training every year. Since 1988, the Vidyalaya has successfully trained more than 50,000 trainees.
The training centre also conducts training programmes for the Khadi and Village Industries Commission that include Entrepreneurship Development Programme, Sponsored Programme, and an Entrepreneurship Awareness Programme. The Kasturba Mahila Khadi Gramodyog Vidyalay was the recipient of the National Award for the “Best Training Center” in 2011.
REFUGEE ASSISTANCE CENTRE, PUNE
Gandhi National Memorial Society is an implementing partner of UNHCR (United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees) since 1997, and assists refugees who have come to Maharashtra.
Gandhi National Memorial Society is an Implementing Partner of UNHCR (United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees) since 1997 and assists refuges residing in Maharashtra.
The centre helps them in their day-to-day issues related to safety, education, training, health, employment, residential permit, etc.
All mandated refugees residing in Maharashtra are enabled to receive direct and timely assistance and do not have to travel to New Delhi. Those identified for naturalization or resettlement are assisted and facilitated with all necessary help. Timely social-legal counseling and legal protection is provided.
The GNMS has been successfully handling a wide spectrum of sensitive and Personal matters of different communities from around the world. Gandhiji always spoke about peace, non-violence and world brotherhood. GNMS strives to actualize these stellar concepts of Gandhian philosophy into reality.
Present Trustees of the Governing Council of Gandhi National Memorial Society:-
Shri. Abhay Firodia - (Chairman)
Smt. Shobhana Ranade - (Trustee Secretary)
Smt. Shribala Chordia - (Joint Trustee Secretary)
Contact:- Agakhan Palace, Nagar Road,
5. Gandhi Memorial Museum, Madurai
Gandhi Museum Complex,
6. The Gandhi Peace Foundation
The original idea of establishing this Foundation started materializing in 1955 when the Nidhi set apart a fund of ten million rupees for activities envisaged for the Foundation.
Aims and Objects
The objective of the Foundation had been summarized briefly thus: (a) to establish an international center of study and research in the study of nonviolence; (b) to investigate methods for the application of nonviolence in social, national, racial and international affairs; (c) to provide information and assistance in this field to teaching institutions; and (d) to assist in development an informed public opinion among all peoples on the principles of Truth and Ahimsa and on the technique of nonviolence.
The Nidhi had started publishing a Quarterly Bulletin and three issues of it had come out in 1956, when it was expanded into a full-fledged journal named ‘Gandhi Marg’. All this happened during the Chairmanship of Shri B.G. Kher. Thus this quarterly journal was born in 1957, and was published both in English and Hindi. The Hindi journal was merely a translation of the English edition and both came out from Bombay. After the death of Shri B.G. Kher, the journals were shifted in periodical ceased to be a translation and began to contain generally independent articles. In 1966, they were transferred to the Gandhi Peace Foundation with their assets and liabilities, and they are now being published by it.
Contact:- Gandhi Peace Foundation,
221-223 Deen Dayal Upadhayay Marg,
7. The Gandhi Smarak Sangrahalaya Samiti
The idea of building a physical memorial to Mahatma Gandhi was contained in the resolution of the Congress Working Committee itself, and the Congress President in his appeal for donations had also mentioned it. As such, the Provisional Committee, in its meeting held in July 1948, decided to start a nucleus around which a museum could be established, and the work of planning and implementation of these ‘Sangrahalayas’, as they were called, was entrusted to shri Kakasaheb Kalekar, who commenced the work in 1949 in Bombay.
Later in 1951 the office was transferred to Delhi. About this time, the Executive Committee of the Nidhi resolved that altogether four Sangrahalayas should be set up. The Central Sangrahalaya should be at Rajghat (Delhi), while the other three should be at Sabarmati (Ahmedabad), Sevagram (Wardha), and at some convenient place in South India. It was ultimately decided to locate it at Madurai, it being a place not only of much historical and culture importance but also because the town had an intimate association with Gandhiji’s temple entry movment for the Harijans. The Executive also set apart a sum of ten million rupees from the Central Fund for all these four. The article kept in Bombay were also brought to Delhi.
Collection of originals or copies of Gandhiji’s letters and photocopying them.
Collection of books by or on Gandhiji.
Collection of photographs, pictures, painting, busts and statues of Gandhiji.
Collection of relies of Gandhiji and articles of his daily use.
Selection of places all over India which had acquired a measure of sanctity and importance on installing commemorative tables and columns.
Contact:-Gandhi Smarak Sangrahalaya Samiti,
Rajghat, New Delhi-110002
8. Gandhi Smarak Prakritic Chikitsa Samiti, Rajghat
9. Bihar Gandhi Sangrahalaya, Patna
10. Gandhi Smarak Sangrahalaya, Barrackpore, (West Bengal)
Ashok Rajpath, North-West,
Gandhi Maidan, Patna-800001(Bihar)
11 .Harijan Sevak Sangh
12. Himalaya Seva Sangh
Rajghat, New Delhi-110002
13. Kasturba Health Society
14. Magan Sangrahalaya Samiti
Gandhiji settled down in Maganwadi, Magan Sangrahalaya premises Wardha, after his departure from Sabarmati Ashram in Ahmedabad. He named this Ashram after Maganlal Gandhi, his close associate and a rural scientist who had been his right hand in all the earlier three Ashrams but who suddenly died while working, at his behest, in Bihar in 1928.
Dedicated to the cause of village industries Mahatma Gandhi founded the All India Village Industries Association (AIVIA) by a resolution of the All India Congress Committee on 26th October 1934.
Gandhiji was the chairman and made Prof. J C Kumarappa the secretary of AIVIA. The advisory board of AIVIA formed of towering national personalities like Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore, renowned humanist and international scientists like Dr. C V Raman, Dr J C Bose, M A Ansari, Satish Chandra Das Gupta, P.C.Ray, Prof. San Higginbottom, Major – General Sir Robert McCarrison, Dr. Purshottam Patel, Shri V. Patel, Dr. B.C.Roy, Dr.S.Subbarao, Dr. Rajabally, Dr. Jivraj Mehta, Jamal Mohamed Sahib, Shri Ramdas Pantulu, Shri S. Pochkhanawalla, and prominent industrialist Shri G.D.Birla
Gandhi & Prof. JC Kumarappa (The great Gandhian economist) undertook the all India movement of revival and expansion of various rural industries and artisans based crafts. Under his able leadership of Kumarappa the AIVIA evolved and developed the traditional industries and established many new rural industries in various parts of India. The institutions trained technical personals and master craftsmen form all over India to run these industries.
To showcase the evolving techniques in rural industrialization developed in AIVIA Mahatma Gandhi wanted a dynamic museum that will impart information on new modes of production to the common man and help the poor of the land. Therefore Gandhi collected donations from the public and founded the Magan Sangrahalaya .This very first museum of Rural Industries- Magan Sangrahalaya was inaugurated by Mahatma Gandhi on 30th December 1938.
Gandhi Smarak Sangrahalaya ,
P.O. - Barrackpore,
14, Riverside Road,
Dist. 24-Parganas -743101
Magan Sangrahalaya Samiti,Maganwadi,
15. Mani Bhavan Gandhi Sangrahalaya
Mani Bhavan, 19, Laburnum Road, Gamdevi, Mumbai-400007
16. Savagram Ashram Pratisthan
17. Nai Talim Samiti
P.O. - Sevagram,